What happens when a large (but small) group of ardent, well-meaning antiwar protesters build a symbol, and the symbol does not realize that is all she was? What of the symbol wants to be real.
Cindy Sheehan, not quite catching on that she was a brand name for antiwar efforts, thinks she has become the marketing about her.
Pro-abortion symbol 'Roe' as in Roe v Wade actual name Norma L. McCorvey) wanted to be real. Norma realized later she was a pawn, saw the shallowness, and converted to Christianity, and now, ironically, speaks at pro-life events.
Of all the crazy competition Hillary Clinton is facing, all are actually competent. Same with the Republican line-up.
Here in Illinois, Mike Ditka (Chicago Bears head coach in the 1980s, and loved by Illinois citizens) considered running against Barack Obama. Da Coach believed that Obama stood for something far more liberal than Illinois deserved. Why didn't he run? He realized name recognition was not enough. He didn't know how to do the job.
On the front of it all, Sheehan thinks Pelosi should file impeachment papers against George Bush. Fair enough. She does not know how to file them herself, and might not realize the legal requirements for impeachment.
Nancy Pelosi is not conservative. She's the Newt Gingrich of liberal politics. She has an agenda, is not willing to seriously negotiate if she can bulldoze on though, and has the power to get things done. That said, she hasn't filed impeachment papers. Why not?
Maybe she realizes
- Impeachment would be bad for the country. she saw the silly proceedings against Bill Clinton.
- Bush is not guilty of any impeachment-type laws or can't be proved as having broken the laws.
- Has bigger fish to fry, like getting troops home from Iraq.
- Politically has negotiated that she avoid impeachment for the sake of something else she wants.
- Is gathering evidence, but is not quite ready to impeach.
- Knows by the time she can get things ready for impeachment, the 2008 election is here.
- Knows the political downside to impeaching Bush might be that the Democrats will lose the 2008 election.
- Any, neither, all of the above.